Re: trying to run kernel-smp.2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 12:24 -0800, Roger Jestes wrote:
> hi
>
> i recently installed Linux for the first time.
>
> i'm running FC3 and GNOME.
>
> after getting all of my hardware/networking stuff
> running and tested, then i ran the "red hat network
> alert notification tool", cause it said that there
> were several updates for me.
>

> one of the updates was from kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667 to
> kernel-smp-2.6.12-1.1381_FC3.
>
> after that update, i have 3 GRUB options:
> FEDORA CORE (2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp)
> FEDORA CORE (2.6.9-1.667smp)
> WinXP
>
> when i try to boot the new 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp
> kernel, i get this message:

> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
> ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18.1 starting
>   Reading all physical volumes. may take a while...
>   No volume groups found
>   No volume groups found
>   No volume groups found
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>

> then the machine hangs, and i have to push the power
> button.
>

> kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667 still works, and so does winXP.
>
> my searching on the web leads me to think that i need
> a new initrd.
>
> will a new initrd fix this?
>
> how do i make a new initrd. can this be done in a
> terminal while running the old kernel, or must i work
> from the command line before booting (where i've no
> experience)

You can make a new initrd for the new kernel whilst running the old one.
The current initrd was made this way at the time the new kernel was
installed on your system (initrds are system-specific).

You'd do it like this:

# mkinitrd -f -v /boot/initrd-2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp.img \
	2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp

However, since this is basically what was done to create the current
initrd, it may not fix the problem.

Can you post the output you get when running this command, the output of
"lsmod", and the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf if the system still
doesn't boot with this kernel after making the new initrd?

> will i be able to have both kernels, along with winXP
> as boot options?

Yes.

Paul.