Re: [POLITICS] Re: When is the Last Time You Booted to Windows?

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:02, Mike McCarty wrote:

My position on this matter is that if one writes something original,
then the moment he writes it, it is his sole property.

But, you have to make an exception for a work that modifies
something covered by the GPL.  If you do such work you do not

Les, read what I wrote carefully. I stated "something original".
Even under GPL, if I modify what is there, then my modifications
belong to me only.

control it.  You cannot even give it away without restrictions.

I'd have to ponder this part a bit. If I write a little shell
script which, given someone else' copy of something GPL, will
modify it into something else, I don't see the problem.

In fact, I used to sell such a product, myself. You may find
ads in old copies of Byte magazine, circa 1984-1986, under
the name Kydor. I and a friend sold a program which would
read in a copy of Turbo Pascal, versions 2.x or 3.x, and write
out a new one with a source level symbolic debugger in it.

Borland bought a copy, presumably to ascertain whether we
violated their copyright. Of course, we didn't.

According to the FSF you do not have the option to distribute
it under any terms but the GPL.  With any other license you can
distribute your own work under your own terms and leave it up to
the end user to obtain appropriate licenses for any other necessary
components.

The phrase "with any other license" is rather encompassing, isn't
it? But your point is taken. It is the stated purpose of Richard
Stallman to stamp out, eradicate, and eliminate proprietary software.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.