Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2

On 21 Feb 2006 at 15:31, Paul Howarth wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:31:49 +0000
From:           	Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> >
> > On 20 Feb 2006 at 22:21, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >
> > Date sent:      	Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:21:25 -0600
> > From:           	"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject:        	Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2
> > Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > 	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> >>That is a good indication that the initrd.img on the SATA drive does
> >>not have the correct modules for the SATA drive in it. Because it
> >>can not access the SATA drive, it can not load the modules needed to
> >>access it. This is not a problem with the IDE drive, because the
> >>modules are in the initrd.img. After the root file system is
> >>mounted, the kernel can load the module for the SATA drive, and
> >>mount the LVM partition from the SATA drive. So you will need to
> >>build a new initrd.img for the SATA drive.
> >>

> > That might be it. I find that lsmod lists the following when booted from the
> > regular drive.
> > sata_sis	8261	0
> > libata		56653	1	sata_sis
> >
> > Question is how does on do the update to add this. I tried doing an upgrade
> > from the DVD to the SATA drive, but it said something about no kernel
> > installed, so it didn't update the grub or anything else, and the reboot did the
> > same thing. Perhaps removing the kernels from the boot would cause it to
> > update the kernel and other files.
> >

> > Here is the last part of the boot process before the error, so it can load the
> > /boot from the sata drive, and load the kernel from it.
> >
> > Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel.
> > Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
> >   Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
> >   No volume groups found
> >  unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
> > ERROR: /bin/lvm exiting abnormally with value 5 !(pid 480)
>
> Try making a new initrd and use the "--with=sata_sis" option to mkinitrd.
>
> Or try adding:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sis
>
> to /etc/modprobe.conf and rebuild your initrd.
>
> Paul.

That seems to have done it. I mounted the /boot partition of the SATA drive
as /boot2 ,  and rename the init of the latest kernel, and then make a new
one with the mkinitrd. Then disconnected the HDA drive, and it then booted
up fine. Did notice that the smartd failed to load, but will have to check on
that. Thanks

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx