Re: OT? Installing foreign package as rpm

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Mike McCarty wrote:

> This particular situation is one which is not exactly quite
> on topic, as I am using FC2 and want to install HPLIP. There
> already is an RPM for FC4. But the same situation probably arises
> with other packages which are available as source. So, my question
> is...
>
> How do I create an RPM for HPLIP for use with FC2?
>
> I think this is a better way than just
>
> # ./configure
> # make
> # make install

<<snip>>

For a number of one off packages, working from source tarballs, I have
found checkinstall to be a very useful addition. With checkinstall the
last step above becomes

# checkinstall make install

performed as root of course.

Unfortunately, checkinstall isn't a complete cure for lacking a rpm,
particularly when the install routine isn't simple or has multiple steps.

You'll probably need to google or search freshmeat for a link, as I don't
remember where I got the software.

Hope this helps tho.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance