OT? Installing foreign package as rpm

This particular situation is one which is not exactly quite
on topic, as I am using FC2 and want to install HPLIP. There
already is an RPM for FC4. But the same situation probably arises
with other packages which are available as source. So, my question
is...

How do I create an RPM for HPLIP for use with FC2?

I think this is a better way than just

# ./configure
# make
# make install

I've used this for a few packages, but I'd prefer to use
RPMs where possible.

Anyone care to elaborate?

Also, in this particular case, the FC4 RPM might just
work, anyway. But I think the information on how to
install as RPMs is applicable to most foreign packages
and most/all versions of FC.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.