RE: FC4 on Laptop, does it work??

El dom, 19-02-2006 a las 21:13 +0100, Tomas Larsson escribió:

> > Why don't you go here and have a look:
> > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
> > Surely there are several docs you are interested.
> >
> Been there, after I got the link yesterday.
> I could'nt find any FC4 installs though, but others like debian, RH7 and
> others.

Ummm :-(, sorry.
Anyway, I believe the most important factor would be to see your laptop
model listed there, in order to make yourself a first impression about
how difficult could be things later. Then, if someone reported some
recent FC install, all the better.
I bought my first laptop 50 days ago, a second-handed IBM ThinkPad T42,
and I am really impressed with it yet. Fortunately, there is enough
documentation about "Fedora and ThinkPads" over there, but Linux is
Linux and I've learned in these days so much from Gentoo related doc
(e.g.) as from any other... All them together can give you some bases..
In short, you should be interested preferably into perform:
	a) Wireless. First, look up which wireless card is installed  exactly.
Depending on that, you will need suitable drivers. Also, some wireless
theoretical concepts are probably appropiate here.
	b) ACPI working. This will give your laptop the "Fn functions" and
more. Also, there could be some extra sw especially intended to your
laptop brand in particular, e.g. in Thinkpads are the tpb (thinkpad
buttons), ibm-acpi driver, etc. Even, a website and a mailing-list
(thinkpadwiki).
Lastly, remember what commands like "yum search blabla" can give you
some nice surprise..

> The different contributors seems to have different problems, with a few in
> common.
> It seems that none have tested pcmia, modem, ir to name few, or had problems
> with them.

Just most people won't use them (modem, infrared, ..) but AFAIK,
generally everything except modem (win-modem usually) shouldn't be
problematic.

> Anyway I would probably do it, just need to get all data of the box first so
> I can wipe it.
> Will try with the stock FC4 cd's I got and see what happens.

Go ahead.
Advice: Prior, you may want to "prepare" the hard disk, I mean
partitioning, with some Linux CD/Live like _Linux System Rescue CD_,
also useful to test hw (HD, memory,..), collect hw data, etc...

> With best regards
>
> Tomas Larsson
> Sweden

Regards,