Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 14:20 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I've copied the drive to a new drive, but then on boot it sees the grub, but
> then doesn't find the LVM volume. This is the first time I've image from a
> HDA drive to a SATA drive. I can run linux resuce and see the lvm volume.
> So, don't know if it is something in the grub or something in the lvm that isn't
> handling the change from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2.

You may need to re-set-up GRUB.  Its method of using HD0 instead
of /dev/hda or /dev/sda, etc., counts the available hard drives, rather
than steps through the interfaces.

i.e. /dev/hdc is /dev/hdc whether or not there's any preceding /dev/hda
or /dev/hdb.  But a hard drive at /dev/hdc may be HD0 if it's the only
drive on the system, but if you inserted a hard drive at /dev/hda it'd
become HD0 and the prior HD0 would become HD1.

This is as irritating as drive letter shuffling with Windows.
Particularly for those of us with removable hard drive caddies.  You go
through hell if you take out a drive, you have to replace something else
to keep the drive allocations in step, or reconfigure GRUB, just to get
your system to boot up.

I read messages from the public lists.