Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2

On 20 Feb 2006 at 10:24, Tim wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 05:29 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I notice the #boot=/dev/hda  (but that being a comment, would it need
> > to be changed, and to what).
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> > #
> > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> > # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> > #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> > #          root (hd0,0)
> > #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> > #boot=/dev/hda
>
> As far as I can tell, it's either their for your benefit, or something
> else pays attention to it while setting up GRUB.
>
> There's a boot command that can be used with GRUB, and it isn't used
> like that.  You can infer it's presence at the end of an item in the
> grub.conf file, like below.  Where it'd mean start booting, now, you've
> read all the configuration options.
>
> title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.1830_FC4)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4.img
>         boot
>
> If you were typing those command lines into the GRUB shell, to boot up
> manually, boot would be the last command that you'd type.  It's not
> needed in the grub.conf files, though.

I've copied the drive to a new drive, but then on boot it sees the grub, but
then doesn't find the LVM volume. This is the first time I've image from a
HDA drive to a SATA drive. I can run linux resuce and see the lvm volume.
So, don't know if it is something in the grub or something in the lvm that isn't
handling the change from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2.

> --
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx