Re: Need help debugging either a network or a sendmail problem.

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 13:56 -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have a weird problem.
>
> 526 > hostname
> saturn.syslang.net
> 527 >
>
> But, ...
>
> 527> perl -MNet::Domain -e 'print Net::Domain::hostfqdn(), "\n"'
> saturn.com
>
> And it takes almost 30 seconds to come back.

With a correct answer, or an error?  (I'm not familiar with what you're
doing with perl to know what the above represents.)

> I frankly don't know what files I need to show you, so I took a best guess
> and put them here.
>
> http://steveo.syslang.net/net/hosts
> http://steveo.syslang.net/net/local-host-names
> http://steveo.syslang.net/net/sendmail.mc
> http://steveo.syslang.net/net/submit.mc
> http://steveo.syslang.net/net/trusted-users

What's your /etc/host.conf file contents?
Mine's:  order hosts,bind

Your /etc/nsswitch.conf file plays a similar role.  You might want to
post that, too.  Mine's pasted below, minus the comments.

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files
hosts:      files dns
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files
netgroup:   files
publickey:  nisplus
automount:  files
aliases:    files nisplus

Do you have your own DNS server with your own DNS records in it?  Some
things will need it for local name resolution, they won't pay attention
to the hosts file.

If you run services, it can be easier to run your own DNS server and
ignore any from your ISP.  Let your DNS server resolve local and
internet addresses for you.

I read messages from the public lists.