Re: Fake eth0

I did exactly as you said and MAC's faked but the trouble remains. cannot determine IP informations if I startup dhcp and no pakage in-out if I use static IP. what should I do?

On 2/17/06, gb spam <gbofspam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/17/06, Nguyen Danh Hieu <ndh.21march@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>  Sorry for my poor English but I have a trouble with ethernet interface. I
> have a new LAN-card on  my machine but MAC-addresss of old card is
> registered so I have to fake MAC address of the new to be able to use LAN. I
> do it with command:
>  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
>  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
>
>  and MAC is faked, but after that card seem to not work.  no packages are
> send and received.  When I restart computer Lan-card work again but with his
> own MAC so is not registered.
>
>  Please help me out of the  problem.
>  Thank you.
> --

Hieu,

You need to set the faked MAC address in the network device config.
For example, add

  MACADDR=00:01:02:03:04:05

Don't remove the HWADDR line.  Then do a "service network restart" or reboot.