Re: gdm questions

On Thu, 2006-16-02 at 17:29 -0500, William Yardley wrote:
> Is there a way to (automatically and / or manually) lock the screen
> besides using "gdmflexiserver"? I think that's more intended for
> starting a second session than locking the existing session.
>
> I'd like something like what xscreensaver does, only with the gdm login
> screen.

I don't think that's possible - directly, anyway.  You could probably
hack /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default to start xscreensaver with a custom
command line.

The only caveat I can see is that if that file is ever updated, your
changes would be lost.  But, the changes would probably be minor, so it
may not be that bad.

> Also, is there a way to set a default username BUT prompt for a
> password? The only option I see in the config file is to automatically
> log in as a particular user.

Again, not directly (as far as I can tell).  However, you could use the
"Timed Login" feature.  Just set the "seconds before login" to some
ridiculous number, such as 31104000 (that's in seconds, so 360 days),
and set a timed login username.  Now when GDM starts, the login name
will be entered for you, but that user won't be logged in unless GDM is
up for 1 year.

I haven't tried this, so I don't if it will work.  I also don't see why
it wouldn't.  Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

Regards.

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu