Re: Yum update notifier

On Thursday 16 Feb 2006 12:42, Roberto Alfonso wrote:
> Hi all
> I created this yum-check-updates.cron file and put this on put this in
> /etc/cron.daily  but it is not executing
>
> The script is the following
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /usr/bin/yum check-update 2>&1 | /bin/mail -s "yum check-update output"
> root
>
> I tryied executing this on the console and it works but I can t make
> it automatically run daily
>
> I know that I m missing a something here
>
> Can you help this Newbie?
>
> Thanks

Take a look at http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.html

On FC (KDE), run Menu>System Settings>Server Settings>Services and make sure
cron is running.

remember that the cript needs to be running as root in order to be able access
the yum database, so the crontab needs to be root's.

If you `su-` to root, remember to use the -u option to crontab to ensure that
you get the right cron file, as (although I've never had any problem, the
manual says the results are otherwise unpredictable.

--
Tony Dietrich
PGP Key at hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net