Re: OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 17:29 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >>Well said, Les.
> >
> > ----
> > there are many forms of open source licenses that aren't GPL and a
> > vendor can supply drivers using a form more suitable to their liking if
> > they wish...I guess I missed Les' point.
>
> Well, you need to read the GPL and LGPL more closely.
> In order to produce a runnable program (or a driver)
> one needs to link with libraries. These libraries
> are either GPL or LGPL, makes not much difference.
> Both GPL and LGPL have virus-like properties of infecting
> all the source for the whole program, causing the producers
> to reveal their special interface. So, they can't legally
> hide the code which knows trade secrets about the hardware.
>
> To keep the hardware proprietary, they can't reveal the
> program source, and they can't link the object without revealing
> the source, so they don't produce a driver for Linux.
>
> I hope that wasn't too turgid.
----
not at all and IANAP so you clearly know more about this than I but I
thought 'link' only applied if it were statically linked and thus, a
driver file itself didn't represent an infringement of GPL/LGPL
licenses, only the manner which they were used might be.

Craig