Re: gnome/kde and hiding "power off" menü

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 01:26 +0100, Boris Glawe wrote:

But the desktop environment still has the "power off " und "reboot" functionality. I cannot and don't want to guarantee, that
every user (we've got 2500) uses KDE.

The GUIs only provide a button/menu item for the user to use, you want
to remove or restrict the command that they refer to.

Probably removing the "other/all" users execute permissions on the
reboot, poweroff, and halt commands, would do the trick.  You'd also
want to remove the wires from the boxes reset and power switches, and
make sure that CTRL+ALT+DEL, and probably CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE are masked
out.  The latter two, I don't know where to do that.

The "user" commands to halt, reboot etc are in /usr/bin, and are symlinks:
[summer@bilby ~]$ \ls -l /usr/bin/halt
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 Nov 26 12:20 /usr/bin/halt -> consolehelper
[summer@bilby ~]$
consolehelper uses pam to decide who can do what. Ordinary users cannot use the real halt, reboot etc directly.

Read the RHEL documentation on the subject, it's online at redhat.com, and the docs on consolehelper.

However, IMV preventing users with physical access from shutting down, rebooting etc is plain silly. We have W2k3 servers at work, and the only way I can see for forcing a reboot, unless you have an administrator account, is to cycle power, and I really don't like that. If a system is stuck it needs to be returned to service, and if a reboot looks the easy way to do that, that's what users will do.

How about you start again, Boris, and tell us the problem you're trying to solve?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait