Re: Private Mirror/Repository

Good evening, David,

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, David Cary Hart wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:55:56 -0500
James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
 	I've put together a script to handle mirroring repositories
locally.  http://www.stearns.org/yum-pull/ has the script and a howto
document on how to set it all up.
 	Best of luck!

I'm trying to use your yum-pull script and think I have it mostly set
up. Trying to do FC4 right now. I will also add CentOS and Suse at some
point.

I still think you are better off with the rsync approach. Correct me

I'm a big fan of rsync as well, and yum-pull has used it since it was first written. For each of the distributions and modules, yum-pull has a list of mirrors, some rsync, some ftp, and some http. It randomly picks one and uses rsync for rsync urls and lftp for ftp and http urls.

if I am wrong but I believe that rsync provides much better
throughput than yum plus compression. Have you looked at

The files being downloaded are mostly rpms, which are already compressed. Turning on rsync compression won't generally help and may occasionally slow down the transfer as the transferred file can get slightly larger. That's why I don't turn on compression with either download tool. In download situations where the local system might have an older file that has some of the same content as the newer file, rsync can speed up the download by reusing old blocks. With rpm repositories, the only likely case where that happens is where one had an incomplete download in the past.

http://tqmcube.com/repo.php ?

	I have - thanks for taking the time to write it.
You and I are doing many of the same things! The major difference is that you're providing step by step instructions for people to do this themselves, and I'm providing a script that tries to automate those steps as much as possible. I'm glad we've both done the work - people can choose which is appropriate for them.

BTW, extras is now using repoview (which I recommend). You can get a
look at it here: http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

	yum-pull runs this automatically too - see
http://ford.stearns.org/fedora/linux/3/x86_64/updates/ .
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "Nothing in the Constitution compels us to listen to or view any
unwanted communication, whatever its merit....The ancient concept that
`a man's home is his castle' into which `not even the king may enter'
has lost none of it vitality....We therefore categorically reject the
argument that a vendor has a right under the Constitution or otherwise
to send unwanted material into the home of another. If this prohibition
operates to impede the flow of even valid ideas, the answer is that no
one has a right to press even `good' ideas on an unwilling recipient.
That we are often `captives' outside the sanctuary of the home and
subject to objectionable speech and other sound does not mean we must be
captives everywhere....The asserted right of a mailer, we repeat, stops
at the outer boundary of every person's domain."
	-- Chief Justice Burger, U.S. Supreme Court
http://www.euro.cauce.org/en/freespeech.html#rowan
William Stearns (wstearns@xxxxxxxxx).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org