Re: modifying another distro's rpm for FC4

On Fri February 10 2006 5:58 pm, John Summerfied wrote:
> Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:12:05AM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> >>I seem to remember that there was an rpm command that could be run to
> >> take an rpm not built for FC4 and rebuild it for FC4 installation - or
> >> something to that effect. I read through the man rpm but didn't see
> >> anything that clicked. I tried a couple of archive searches but nothing
> >> popped up. Am I missing the obvious? What I have is an rpm built for
> >> PCLinuxOS which is a derivative of Mandriva - I'm told that those rpm's
> >> can generally be used in FC4 as there is a distant relationship in the
> >> distros.
> >
> > When using rpmbuild --rebuild *.src.rpm with foreign SRPMs, you may
> > want to be aware of the macro differences.  See my post to rpm-list in a
> > thread about macro differences between distros:
>
> and better than "rpmbuild --rebuild" is "rpm -i" after which you inspect
> the spec and config files for hazards. Then, "rpm -ba "

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I did try installing the rpm's as
suggested by one post. I ran into dependencies problems. I got the dependent
rpm's, but then I ran into lib problems. For those who are curious, the
program is kdenlive, a video editor that looks promising from an interface
standpoint. It's a frontend for piave. It's lib dependencies for piave that
got me stuck. I decided to revisit this because my main occupation is in TV
production, and I'm trying to track all the various projects. Kdenlive is the
only one that's stumped me on FC4. It's not completely clear to me whether
that project is alive - it does come pre-packaged with the PCLinuxOS distro,
but I haven't had the time to actually play with it on that box.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA