Server Heart beat monitor

Is there a simple way to implement failover on linux. I have currently got a Web Server which is being used to interface with a database. Recently one of the guys here started to running some backups files to this server via scp. A lot of backup files and it created DoS. Luckily only one person noticed before we realized the source of the problem. We have a backup web interface, we have DNS on linux, but I'm not exactly sure of the approach to take to automatically bring a 2nd server online, when the primary fails. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-- During the last episode the server responded to pings, but was very,very slow when serving pages.