Re: modifying another distro's rpm for FC4

Claude Jones wrote:
I seem to remember that there was an rpm command that could be run to take an rpm not built for FC4 and rebuild it for FC4 installation - or something to that effect. I read through the man rpm but didn't see anything that clicked. I tried a couple of archive searches but nothing popped up. Am I missing the obvious? What I have is an rpm built for PCLinuxOS which is a derivative of Mandriva - I'm told that those rpm's can generally be used in FC4 as there is a distant relationship in the distros.

In general, using rpms from one distro for another is problematic. They may have pre and post install scripts that do bad things in the wrong distro. They may have /etc/inid.d scripts that won't work in the wrong environment, and more.

Safest, get the src.rpm, inspect it, build it. Even better, check the Brand-X repos.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait