Re: OT: Any hope of RedHat buying the IDEs from Delphi?

--- Marius Andreiana <mandreiana.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 12:18 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >         > According to this article:
> >         > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1922016,00.asp ,
> >         Borland is
> >         > looking for a buyer for their IDE products. As someone
> who
> >         first
> >         > programmed in Turbo Pascal, and then in Delphi, I would
> love
> >         to see
> >         > these tools working flawless in Fedora.
> > Anybody in RedHat here listening?
>
> I'm sure they have much more important things to spend money on
> (developers of gcc, gcj, eclipse, openoffice, mono...)
>
> If you are so interested do it Blender-style: setup a site to
> gather
> donations and discuss with Borland their price; be the first to
> contribute at least $1k. But please don't ask Red Hat to buy and
> open
> source every piece of software (I've seen request for licensing
> mp3),
> they are doing already more than enough.

I would like to see Borland give it up... they made no small amount
of change off of their offerings, why couldn't they offer it all up
to the FSF and give a shot to the chops of MS, at the same time.
Kinda like dropping the shorts and giving them a moon, on the way out
the door.  Whatever happened to Michael whatshisname that ran Borlan?
Ric

   ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
   ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256