Re: Slightly OT: Must Linux buy its way onto the desktop?

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 18:41 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

refusing to pay the MStax. (My wife has mixed feelings about that,
because we have no MS boxes in the house, and all her friends worry
that she isn't going to be able to open up the documents they want to
send her. Peer pressure.)

The *cult* of Windows...

I wonder how often this problem *really* exists?  How many friends spend
their time exchanging "documents", when all they really need to do is
send text and/or pictures.  Even between two XP PCs, one's "doc" file
mayn't be suitable for another PC; it's really only a format suitable
for saving your own files for printing later on, on your own printer.
Not to mention all the *problems* that tag along with sharing Windows
files (viruses, malware, et al).

The more reason to encourage people to export documents to PDF. Last I heard, even M$ had decided to support a PDF export.

Temlakos