Re: Slightly OT: Must Linux buy its way onto the desktop?

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 18:41 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> refusing to pay the MStax. (My wife has mixed feelings about that,
> because we have no MS boxes in the house, and all her friends worry
> that she isn't going to be able to open up the documents they want to
> send her. Peer pressure.)

The *cult* of Windows...

I wonder how often this problem *really* exists?  How many friends spend
their time exchanging "documents", when all they really need to do is
send text and/or pictures.  Even between two XP PCs, one's "doc" file
mayn't be suitable for another PC; it's really only a format suitable
for saving your own files for printing later on, on your own printer.
Not to mention all the *problems* that tag along with sharing Windows
files (viruses, malware, et al).

I read messages from the public lists.