Re: (fedora) Re: how to setup rsh(d) on FC4

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>> Nope. You will get connection refused if the port is set to reject,
>> and a timeout message if it is set to drop. You get the No route to
>> host when there is a network configuration problem.

J. K. Cliburn:
> I disagree, but I won't be able to substantiate my disagreement until
> I get home this evening.  Every time I see the "No route to host"
> message, my next step is to look for a filter in the way, and I almost
> always find a port blocked by netfilter.

It *is* possible for filter rules to send back error messages like this,
if you want to.

If you avoid the FUD advice of "stealthing" your network (marketing
terminology) by not responding to surprise connections (silently DROP
connection attempts), it *can* be better to respond to them with a
message more appropriate to the action (REJECT, with a reason why).

Taken from the iptables man file in FC4:

   REJECT
       This is used to send back an error packet in response  to  the  matched
       packet:  otherwise it is equivalent to DROP so it is a terminating TAR-
       GET, ending rule traversal.  This target is only valid  in  the  INPUT,
       FORWARD  and  OUTPUT  chains,  and  user-defined  chains which are only
       called from those chains.  The following option controls the nature  of
       the error packet returned:

       --reject-with type
              The type given can be
               icmp-net-unreachable
               icmp-host-unreachable
               icmp-port-unreachable
               icmp-proto-unreachable
               icmp-net-prohibited
               icmp-host-prohibited or
               icmp-admin-prohibited (*)
              which  return  the appropriate ICMP error message (port-unreach-
              able is the default).  The option tcp-reset can be used on rules
              which  only match the TCP protocol: this causes a TCP RST packet
              to be sent back.  This  is  mainly  useful  for  blocking  ident
              (113/tcp)  probes  which  frequently  occur when sending mail to
              broken mail hosts (which wonʼt accept your mail otherwise).

I read messages from the public lists.