RE: Corrupt Superblock on /home

> I'm encouraged by the possibility of turning off the DMA.  I really don't
> think the drive has gone bad as much as it just needs reformating.  The
> second partition on it appears to be fine.  Would this be better done from
> the repair mode or a live distro CD? I'll google DMA tonight and see what
> I can come up with.  Do you know off hand of a good place for more
> information on this?

  Nancy,

hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb        will turn off DMA for drive hdb

      The status = 0x51 messages usually indicate bad block on the drive.
If you cannot mount the drive but have space elsewhere try using dd_rescue
to copy the entire partition to a file, mount the file as a disk ( -o loop
option ) and see what can be recovered.

  dd_rescue is quite good at recovering data from bad drives.
You can download a copy from  http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/

                                           peter

----

Peter Skensved                          Email : peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx