Re: Ferrari Still Not Connected

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 13:47 -0800, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I have an ACER Ferrari Athlon 64 Laptop which I am trying to connect
> with the internet. FC5t2 lists the interface as a Broadcom Corp
> BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wirelless LAN Controller. I am trying to connect to
> a D-Link router transmitting on channel 5. When I use the Netwrok
> Setup Wizard, almost all the info is known. I know the wireless make,
> the channel is 5, the rate is 54 Mb/s, the SSID is "Enigma" and I know
> my key. This information greatly reduces the number to possible
> settings down to 5 possibilites. I can choose Auto, Managed or Ad-Hoc
> for the mode and either an auto SSID or putting in "Enigma" The wizard
> generates what it calls eth1. Although I tried the "Activate" button
> for all possible compinations, the result is that it cannot find IP
> information and the link failed. The same laptop ubder Windows at the
> same location lists signal strength as excellent.
>
>     What am I doing wrong. Should not the wizard make the connection?

Try "NetworkManager". I have found it to do an excellent job of
establishing wireless connections.

You need to run it as root, using "service NetworkManager start".

There is a Gnome applet that shows the connectivity status, and it
automatically handles the coming or going of a wired connection.

Cheers, Ben

Ben Stringer ===== ben@xxxxxxxxxxx