RE: missing vim highlight

> Michael D. Berger wrote:
> > I have two FC4 boxes with identical /etc/vimrc .
> > Using vim, on boxA, if for example, I use the slash
> > to search for xxx, then all visible xxx are
> > highlighted.  On boxB, there is no highlight
> > except for the cursor.  I note that this is the
> > case when the boxes are used directly or accessed
> > via ssh using Putty from a win2k box. In the past,
> > boxB worked like boxA.  Any suggestions?
>
> This is set via the hlsearch option.
> :set hlsearch
> will turn it on.
> :set nohlsearch
> will turn it off.
>
> Does this apply for all users? If not, then look in ~/.vim* :
> particularly the settings toward the top of ~/.viminfo.
>
> Otherwise you may want to consider this fragment of /etc/vimrc:
> " Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colors
> " Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
> if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
>   syntax on
>   set hlsearch
> endif
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

Thanks for these clues, but it is not fixed yet.

:set hlsearch and :set nohlsearch work as expected on boxA, but
have no effect on boxB.

boxB has only one user.  It is a web server, and login is only
to examine the logs (where the highlight would be most useful)
and for web upgrade.

Neither box has a .vimrc .  Only one person uses these boxes,
so /etc/vimrc is adequate.

A surprising difference is that boxA has a .viminfo, but boxB
does not.  I copied the .viminfo from boxA to boxB, but it
had no effect.  I emphasize that the /etc/vimrc for the two
boxes are identical, as I just reconfirmed.

Thanks for your help.

Mike.
--
Michael D. Berger