Re: missing vim highlight

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> I have two FC4 boxes with identical /etc/vimrc .
> Using vim, on boxA, if for example, I use the slash
> to search for xxx, then all visible xxx are
> highlighted.  On boxB, there is no highlight
> except for the cursor.  I note that this is the
> case when the boxes are used directly or accessed
> via ssh using Putty from a win2k box. In the past,
> boxB worked like boxA.  Any suggestions?

This is set via the hlsearch option.
:set hlsearch
will turn it on.
:set nohlsearch
will turn it off.

Does this apply for all users? If not, then look in ~/.vim* :
particularly the settings toward the top of ~/.viminfo.

Otherwise you may want to consider this fragment of /etc/vimrc:
" Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colors
" Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
  syntax on
  set hlsearch
endif

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | It was amazing how human traits and affairs could so
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | reliably and continuously be guided by a succession of