Re: Generic Install

tsimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Really, my CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 D.  It's a newer Dual Core
> Pentium 3.0Ghz processor.  I'm running Fedora FC4 x86_64 and FC5t2
> x86_64. My friend has an older Pentium ( II I think ).  I'd like to
> load a hard disk for him with Fedora 32bit so all he has to do is
> replace his hard drive.
>
> I just need to know if a fresh install from my machine onto a hard
> drive ( that I install on my machine for the install ) will likely run
> when he installs it into his.  His machine has a pretty plain vanilla
> IDE interface, as does this drive.

In my experience: "probably". If it is a Pentium II (or later) then the
basic operating system should load and go. If it's a Pentium MMX, a
"classic" Pentium, a pre-Athlon AMD processor, a Cyrix, or any of the
low-end processors of the time, you'll have problems because the Fedora
install will choose i686 packages and the processor will not understand
all the operations.

You will still have to reconfigure (for example) X, network settings,
printer settings, and one or two other things that might need manual
set-up, and migrate user data.

Talking of which, you will have problems if the new install is set to
mount partitions by label, you have the same labels on the old disk and
the new disk (highly likely), and you try having both disks in the
machine at once.

But most hardware changes will simply be detected by the OS, and it will
reconfigure itself.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... and watched Richard Stallman ask one of the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | waiting staff whether the spring rolls did indeed