Re: Changing port hangs sshd

Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Mauriat Miranda wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have any idea or hints? Seen something like this before?
>> Am I missing something critical (obvious)?
>
> A customer had a similar problem.  It was caused by a firewall / router
> box (sorry, forgot which) at his end killing the connection because of
> its own (stupid) idea that the connection was idle for too long.

I've seen this even for cheap NAT boxes that time-out the NAT mapping
after 10 minutes or so of not seeing a packet.  Adding the following to
/etc/ssh/sshd_config fixed that problem, along with cleaning up any
idle connections that are related to a machine just dropping off the
net without first exiting sshd.

      ClientAliveInterval  60
      ClientAliveCountMax  30

-wolfggang