Re: Printer preferences and FC4

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 13:39 +0200, Bengt Lindholm wrote:

> When printing I use A4 paper size, but every application gives letter,
> at least after reboot. I'm tired of continual paper size fixing. Is
> there any way to make the A4 size the preferred size for all the
> applications and printers with one command and to last over the reboots?

I sympathise.  I set my printer settings to A4, because that's the only
paper I have in the printer.  Nearly every application I use is preset
to US Letter, paying no attention to my printer settings.

Are application authors stupid?  Do they not realise that most printers
only have one paper feed?  Do they not realise that most people only use
one type of paper?  Do they not realise that the system default printer
preferences should be read and used as the first choice?

Anytime I set up a PC, I have to adjust the word processor, and two web
browsers, at the very least.  Probably a mail client, too (Evolution
just sucks at printing - huge font, badly wrapped lines, etc.).  Then
every other person using the computer has go through and do the same
thing.

I read messages from the public lists.