Re: Windows XP and fedora Core 4

chen li wrote:
Dear all,

I only have FC4 on my computer. For some reasons I
want to have Windows XP installed  so that I will have
two operation systems on my computer. Many articles
talk about how to install Linux to those computers
with windows XP. But it seems  there is no information
about how to install windows XP after Linux. I wonder
if anyone out there helps me out.

Thank you in advance,

I think this will work:
You will need to make space first. I don't recall whether Anaconda can resize partitions, but some other distros' installer can (eg SUSE's yast).

You will need to have a primary partition for Windows. For discussion, say /hda2.

You need to have a primary partition for Linux. /boot is ideal, / is good but any will do, including one just for the purpose. For discussion, say /hda1.

Make a grub boot floppy (or CD or USB drive):
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Clone-HOWTO/booting.shtml

If you have a Debian (or Ubuntu or Knoppix cd or) system to hand, you can use the grub-floppy script.

Update your grub menu to include this stanza:
title x
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
	makeactive
        chainloader +1

Add relevant stanzas from your existing menu.lst.

Test it.

Optionally, install grub to hda1. I think this will make your hard disk unbootable. Edit your menu.lst to add Windows. I don't think you need anything else.

Install Windows to hda2. This will replace the mbr with a boot loader that looks for the first active primary partition.

Probably, you can update the Windows boot mangler to boot hda1. I've seen instructions, but I've never done it.

If you wish, boot Linux from your boot floppy and reinstall grub to the hda.

Otherwise, explore Windows' means of choosing what to boot.

Whether you install grub to hda1 depends on how you want to boot later. The floppy will suffice for rebooting Linux after installing Windows, and you don't actually need a menu; it's quite simple to type everything in at the grub commandline.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait