Re: Issuse installing either i386 or x86_64

gary wrote:
On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 11:17 -0600, Chris wrote:
Edward Dekkers wrote:
Chris wrote:
Greetings -

    Has anyone ever managed to install FC4 on a Sony Vaio desktop, model
VGC-RB53 ?
I can install - but on boot up after the install, I get a kernel panic and it just hangs.

Hangs tend to be able to be worked around by using boot parameters.

Try some of the ones listed at:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#otherinstall

While you're there - bookmark the site. It's extremely handy.

Regards,
Ed.

Welp - I tried all sorts of stuff. Still a no-go. Here's how I'm doing this:

Primary SATA drive is XP
Secondary SATA is for CentOS or FC4 (whichever I can get to work)

On complete install of either (it installs just dandy) and reboot into the virgin install, I get the kernel panic (poop loads of code) and the caps lock and scroll lock lights on the keyboard are both flashing at the same time.

Some other info that may be relevent - I am using a Belkin OmniView SE 4 port PS/2 KVM (I don't know it that may be the issue after the fact).

Anyhow - if someone else can shed some light - I really would like to NOT use XP, and even though I like FreeBSD, I would prefer the use of CentOS or FC4.

 Have you tried unplugging your primary sata drive? Maybe it will
install
 if the fc4 installer thinks it's the only operating system.  --gary

Hmm - that seems a bit extreme. I have gone as far as to try installing the boot loader on the same drive as the OS, but still no dice.

I mentioned that when the kernel panics it freezes and at that point, both scroll lock and caps lock lights are flashing. Only a hard boot brings me back. I mention this in hopes that someone has experienced the same - maybe on a different PC.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Never create a problem for which you do not have
the answer.