Re: Kernel 2.6.15-1.1830 lock-up issues

On Sat February 4 2006 8:23 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Saturday 04 February 2006 10:53 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Installed the new kernel this am, and updated all my modules (fglrx and
> > ntfs, plus the vmwareplayer). All seemed well. Returned to the machine
> > some time later and it was in screen saver. I have this machine set to
> > require a password  to exit screensaver. It took the password and the
> > desktop opened. Then, I noticed there was no mouse cursor. Looked at the
> > CPU activity monitor and it was pegged at 100%. Waited a long while but
> > to no avail. Was able to switch to a console with Ctl-Alt-F1 but before I
> > could log in, I got a kernel panic and some messages about being unable
> > to sync. I did a hard reset and came back up, and then tried a reboot.
> > The screen switched to black after a moment, and the machine hung - no
> > commands accepted, no activity visible on the machine, nothing - did
> > another hard reset. Per an earlier message, I tried upgrading
> > module-init-tools from updates-testing. Tried another reboot, but got the
> > same result again when I tried a shutdown... For now, I've booted into
> > the previous kernel.

I've just run yum update on my home machine, the one described above. It found
a new fglrx module and replaced the one installed this morning. This has
cured the above systems on first check. Was able to reboot and then shutdown
normally without a lockup - this is just the first test, but it's looking
good. There was a reference in one thread today to fglrx possibly being a
problem. Thorsten had commented in a referenced thread that he was on the
case, so, if this is the result, thanks!
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA