Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 30

On 2/3/06, Mark Thomas <thomamd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a Ferrari 3400 Laptop and I am playing with FC5t2. I was delighted
to see that there was a driver for the wirekess device as I have never had a Linux box connected to the Internet. I have a D-link-534 router in the house
which connects 3 Windows computers. I assumed that it would be easy to
connect the Linux computer to the router., but I am having problem and I
don't underatand why. I have tried a number of settings, but none will
activate. Here is the last setting I tried

Addr.     DHCP
Mode:    Auto
SSID:    Enigma
Chan     5
Trans    1M
Key      0xnnnnnnnnnn

    What am I doing wrong?

Then Auther Pemberworote:

you did say what tools you were using for the configuration.

Here's the routine I follow on my own laptop, it isn't pretty, but it works,
my wireless interface is wlan0:

iwlist wlan0 scan    # to ensure that it can see the AP
iwconfig wlan0 essid "myssid"    # set interface to SSID
ifconfig wlan0 up    # activate interface
dhclient wlan0    # get dhcp info from AP

That usually does it for me.
-
Your suggestion did not work. I was told it did not exist. Now I am using the Internet Connection Wizard. The driver I am using is the one found by FC5t2. After selecting the driver, I entered information to give to the wireless. The wizard called the connection "eth1." (I did substitue eth1 for your wlan0 when trying your suggestion.) When I go to activate the connection (where is runs "ifup", I am told that it failed.

Mark