Re: CD/CDR Operation

Andrew

Again. to actually burn data CDs you do NOT mount the blank CD .. if you have
your system set up to mount any CD you place in the drive, then unmount the
CD prior to trying to burn it.

Use k3b (or whatever you like, k3b is just *my* preference) and the
application should detect both the appropriate device to use, and the fact
that there is a blank CD in the drive.

You can then select the files/data you want to burn onto the CD, and hit GO.

Mounting a disk is only useful when the CD already contains a valid
filesystem, which will only be after the CD has been written.  Likewise,
music tracks aren't written on a CD as a file-system, but as discrete tracks.

If you downloaded a rescue disk you probably downloaded an ISO image .. that
needs to be burnt to the CD as an image, not as data.  An ISO file contains a
'snapshot' of the contents of a disk.

Writing an ISO image to a disk is analagous to printing a fax (which is stored
on a computer as an image file), whereas writing the data contained in the
ISO image is closer to converting the fax to a standard text file first, then
printing the file. Doing the latter, you disturb the layout of the data in
the ISO image, and incidentally lose some of the information, because not all
the information in the ISO image can be successfully converted to files.

TD