Re: Slightly OT: Photoshop tops 'most wanted' Linux app list

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 21:52 +0200, peter kostov wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 11:29 -0500, taharka wrote:
> > >
> > > Now that is really cool -- and NO I didn't "read" it all  =/
> > >
> > > =)
> >
> > I'm disappointed to see Adobe Photoshop riding at #1. Not needed when
> > you have the gimp. Macromedia Studio, currently #6 got my vote. Love to
> > be able to create content under Linux/Unix like at bangcartoon.com :-)
> I'm disappointed too. With The Gimp I believe man can achieve more than
> 90% of that what Photoshop does. And the average Photoshop user doesn't
> use even 10% of the functionality of Photoshop...
----
that sort of misses the point of feature glut - it doesn't really have
anything to do with need or usage...it's the comfort that it is actually
there. I once knew a couple of people that installed AutoCAD on their
computers because they borrowed the disks and even though it clogged up
their hard drive and never used it...they still wanted it.

Knowing how some tools work is typically better than having tools with
more abilities that you don't know how they work.

Heck - I learned on Aldus Freehand - I still struggle with Illustrator.
Photoshop however, it a very nice application and GIMP is very good.

Craig