Re: Generic Install

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 02 Feb 2006 16:45, tsimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>That's my understanding. But AMD produced a processor called
>>the 586, which is a 486 class processor.
>>

> As a long-time AMD user, I can only say that I do not remember such a
> processor, and I don't think it existed.  Their names were always very
> different from Intel ones.
>
> Anne

I think what they are talking about was the Am5x86 processor.

The Am5x86 is actually a 486DX (the fastest 486 around) that
delivers performance superior to the Pentium-75 on a modern 486
motherboard. That's why AMD named it Am5x86-P75.
It is a clock-quadrupling CPU so it runs internally at 133 MHz on
the usual 33.33MHz bus-speed. The 16 Kb Level 1 (on-chip) cache
supports both the Write-Through (read cache) and the Write-Back
(read and write cache) mode.

Mikkel