Re: Red Hat Commits To MIT's $100 Laptop

Rickey Moore wrote:

--- John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've never tried it, but <http://damnsmalllinux.org> looks interesting. I think I'll dig out the old 350MHz AMD from the junk box and give it a try.

Jeeez John, you're making me feel bad. I'm running a K5 AMD 350MHz
right now! 128 Megs of ram helps. It's nowhere near as fast as the
newest stuff... but it does what I want it to do. And, it was plenty
cheap, and no probs installing Fedora 4, in text mode. I am not using
it as a server though, just as a client machine, etherneted to a
router connected to a DSL modem. Damn, this is just like an AA
meeting where I bare my deepest secrets "My name is Ric, and I'm
really cheap and run really old hardware."    <sobs> I get alot of
group hugs this way. <g> Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/

I'm really cheap too! My last AMD Athlon CPU + motherboard cost $89.00 at Frys. The rest of the box came from computer junk stores (luckily I live near Silicon Valley which has a great number of "computer surplus" stores).

If you aren't near somwhere that has a lot of computer junk stores, I highly recommend <http://surpluscomputers.com>. I've bought a lot of stuff from them without any problems.

Regards,

John