Re: networking initskripts

Boris Glawe said:
> Hello,
>
> The configuration for networkinterfaces is kept in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/.
>
> in profiles/default/ and in devices/ there are two identical files for
> each device.
>
> Why is the configuration for a networkinterface stored twice?

you used system-config-network..right??..that config tool adds extra configs in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices and /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/..IMHO the extra configs are unnecessary and you can do without them..!!

> Here's what I am going to do: I'd like to manually add configuration files
> to many clients. Each client needs an additional interface, though it has
> only one physical interface. Thus I'd like to add "eth0:1" as a virtual
> interface.
>
> Is it correct to only copy a file containing the approriate configuration
> called "ifcfg-eth0:1" to /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices? Or do I also
> have to copy the file to /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/?
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> greets Boris

David Maina.
Systems/Network Administrator.
PdE-Kenya.
P. O. Box 1239 - 20100.
Nakuru, Kenya.
Telephone:+254-51-850298/850333.
Cell:+254-721-950073.
Registered Linux User #407239.
"By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since sliced bread."