Re: networking initskripts

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 12:21 +0100, Boris Glawe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The configuration for networkinterfaces is kept in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/.

Actually the files used by the startup script /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
are kept in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/....

The /etc/sysconfig/networking/ directory contains the support files for
the graphical configuration tool system-config-network....

> in profiles/default/ and in devices/ there are two identical files for
> each device.
>
> Why is the configuration for a networkinterface stored twice?

You'd need to ask the developers of the system-config-network tool but
it might have something to do with the existence of "profiles" within
that tool.  It was generally frowned upon, at least initially, for
humans to go in to that directory and muck with the files - I am
guessing they were trying to reduce the number of variables in
troubleshooting the tool.

> Here's what I am going to do:
> I'd like to manually add configuration files to many clients. Each
> client needs an additional interface, though it has only one physical
> interface. Thus I'd like to add "eth0:1" as a virtual interface.
>
> Is it correct to only copy a file containing the approriate
> configuration called "ifcfg-eth0:1" to
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices? Or do I also have to copy the file to
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/?

In general, I would just avoid the system-config-network tool and just
create the needed files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/....
Supposedly, the first time the system-config-network tool runs it copies
in the configuration found in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ over
to /etc/sysconfig/networking/ but I do not know how it resolves "future"
changes made directly to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.  I think most
people are doing an either/or: Either they use the system-config-network
tool or they edit the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/....

--Rob