Re: belkin wireless g+ desktop card support?

On 1/29/06, Neil Cherry <ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 Jan 2006 15:59, Neil Cherry wrote:
> >> If your using the ipw2200 then you've got an Intel mini-PCI card
> >> in your Acer.
> >
> > Apologies - you're right.  The wireless connection is Intel, the cabled
> > connection is Broadcom.
> >
> >> My laptop has a broadcom chip (can't use the ipw2200
> >> care because it's an AMD, grr)
> >
> > Really?  The ipw2200 driver doesn't work on AMD?  I hadn't heard that.
>
> I thought it was weird also. The laptop is a Compaq Presario. It
> has an Athlon chipset. If you put the ipw2200 in it won't get
> past the BIOS check. It comes back with an unrecognized wireless
> card and requests it be removed.

FWI: The reason for this is there is a BIOS white list implemented by
HP/Compaq.  They claim the FCC requires this since the original card
with that antenna is the one that passed all the FCC requirements for
RF emissions and such.  Sounds like a convenient excuse (if they
really wanted, there might be some better way to comply with the FCC),
but is probably something they do have to do.  This is not necessarily
an issue having to due with AMD.

Jonathan