Re: New thread, really need assistance on this - high security hardware

Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rickey Moore wrote:

> Fedoration greets,
>
>I'm hoping to develop a tablet clientdevice, no keyboard, no mouse, just a touchscreen and wireless and a static operating system burned onto a DVD, live filesystem in ram. I'd like to not have to use a
>harddrive at all. Just the DVD to boot from and ram and wireless combination for any file writing. Any
>pointers in that direction would be appreciated.
>
>I understand that the Japanese have developed such machines to a high art for their education system. I
>don't want any input devices other than the touch screen for high security purposes... no output
>hardware besides the LED screen , wireless, and an audio jack. The case would have to be high impact
>r! ated, such as lexan material, and the box battery powered. Thumbprint login for security.
>
>My idea is that with virtually no input other than the touchscreen, it'll be secure as hell. Finally, it has
>to be cheap. Very cheap, if I'm to propose my !
>package
> to state agencies. Thanx, in advance, for
>any considerations, Ric

Touchscreens are pretty hard to manage systems where entering text
information is needed. The touchscreen is closer to a mouse than a text
entering device. Keep that fact in mind if you plan on being able to
customize the device at any time.
Good luck with the project.
Jim
There would be no text-input at all... the user is pretty much passive (prison inmate) and for security reasons, no possible opportunity to hack. Plenty of time for the "Devil's Work" you might say and, as a group, they're pretty clever. So, I'm looking at just touching the sc! reen to activate the next step in the program or perform an action in decision making exercises. That's why the thumbprint login. Any machine could accommodate any user, the server would handle what that unit would recieve, according to the user's history and treatment schedule. A tech, per facility, would update the server's software and the tablets need only be little more than interactive TV's that are tough enough to handle the Samsonite gorrilla. <grin> Anger Management will be the first module! For damn sure.

Imagine being locked down 23/7 (1 hour exercise period) and having nothing to do... some of the guys could own the world with a full blown linux system on the net, being highly 'resourceful ' is an understatement. So, the touchscreen and several graphical arrows to proceed or backtrack will be the most input allowed.
Audio through an output jack. I need the fastest wireless device I can find, for the streaming video content. The kernel would be stripped! down to the barest necessities, video display, touchscreen driver, wireless networking, sound modules. Some flash ram is a good suggestion to augment a boot DvD, which would be secured inside without an enject tray, so upgrades would require a torx screwdriver which they don't possess  (could be used as a shank <cackles>)

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Of course, this will be Open Sourced with the GPL, I'm mainly working on a prototype  to demo to DOC. The 'methodology of treatment' agendas are already in the bag (copy-lefted) and we've recieved some initital funding. I am really doing something I enjoy and find Joy in doing it.

Maybe, one day, we'll all learn to just "get along", and to acknowledge just why we do the things we do, where the feelings that become emotions that become thoughts that become actions originate, and how our personal programming  and response mechanisms need a bugzilla report.  We can have a great deal of int! ellectual fun with this. Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/