Re: Missing desktop icon with new USB drive

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 08:43 -0500, Robert Cahn wrote:
> I have been using a 128M USB drive for backup and transfer between
> systems. Whenever I plug it in it is mounted in /media/usbdisk and a
> cute little icon pops up on the desktop. I have another 60 GB hard
> drive that exhibits the same behavion. I recently bought a 1G drive.
> When I plug it in the system automatically mounts it
> as /media/TRAVELDRIVE.  It appears in Kwikdisk and works correctly but
> no desktop icon.  It's just a nit but I was wondering why it wasn't
> mounted in the same place and what happened to the icon?

I don't know how the icons are managed, but if Fedora can determine
something individual about your drive, it'll use it (such as a volume
label on the disk - yours might have one preconfigured).  Otherwise, it
uses something generic, like "usbdisk".

Side note:  Methinks it's high time PCs stopped playing analogy games,
and called things what they are though.  Directories aren't folders, and
flash drives don't have "disks" in them.  I wish it'd only call
something a usbdisk if it were a true description.

I read messages from the public lists.