Re: CTRL-ALT-F1

At 8:56 PM -0600 1/23/06, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I want to set the buffer size in the CTRL-ALT-F1 to F6 text console to
>> 1000 lines so that I can view all my code in the screen at a time
>

>You want 1000 lines on a screen? Even with a screen 20" tall, that
>would make the letters only 20"/1000 = 20 milliinches = 0.5mm tall.
>You couldn't read it without a magnifying glass (aside from the fact
>that the screeen wouldn't have that kind of resolution).

No, he wants scrollback.  Others have suggested screen, so I took a look at
it.  Screen will do what he wants, on most any kind of terminal, including
the CTRL-ALT-Fn text consoles.

Kaushal Shriyan, if you're still following this:  if screen isn't
installed, install it with "yum install screen".  Man screen describes it
in excruciating detail.  Screen is a wonderful program from the bad old
days, with thousands of options and commands and settings.  All commands
are two characters; by default they all start with CTRL-a.

Scrolling is done in "copy" mode, entered with CTRL-a ESC, and exited by
any key that it isn't expecting in copy mode, such as ESC or z.  The FC3
package defaults to 1000 line scrollback.

The text consoles don't have any scrollback of their own.  Neither does
bash -- the default gnome-terminal provides scrollback.