Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64

At 00:41 24/01/2006, you wrote:

From: James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

David Fletcher wrote:
> That's why it's best to flash the BIOS if an update is made available.

The alternative point of view is that flashing a BIOS is not risk free.
If the power goes or the computer crashes while you are in the middle of
flashing a BIOS, you may have problems. Some motherboards (those with

I power all my computers (there's only three at home, and two at work) via UPSs. They needn't be very expensive - you can sometimes get very recent APC models from ebay pretty cheaply. That's where two of the units at home came from, and they work fine. It's very reassuring when you hear the inverters start up as the lights dim or go out.

I guess I'll just leave it alone then...it's my only box.

Next time you upgrade, keep the old one! It's always useful to have a second PC ready to download stuff when setting up the main one.

George
--
G. Hare

Dave F