Re: Problem with local network

Tim:
>> Do you have this same hosts file on each PC?

Chris Jones:
> Yes. I do, although the other PC's being windoze, they do not have
> FQDN's.

You can give them FQDNs.  The hosts file is the same format for both
machines:  <IP>  <FQDN>  <alias(es)>

e.g. 192.168.1.10  test.localdomain  test tests testing tester

You can also put the domain name into the search gadget in the Windows
IP configuration.  When you have a local DNS server with local machine
address information, that allows them to expand hostnames into FQDNs,
just the same as the "search" or "domain" keyword does in the
Linux /etc/resolv.conf file.

> In answer to your previous response, the 'localhost' in /etc/hosts is
> correctly spelled.

Hmmmmmm.  I'll see if I can think of anything else.

I run my own DNS server, and rarely make use of the hosts file.  Since
one of your comments related to RNDC not finding localhost, I think that
may be because of a localhost DNS record issue rather than a hosts file
issue.  A few things will pay no attention to the hosts file for name
resolution (e.g. Squid and dig, at least).  You might need to ensure
your DNS server has records for localhost, and localhost.localdomain,
and is running.

I read messages from the public lists.