Re: Fetchmail socket problem

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 21:02, Craig White wrote:
>> um...do you have a pop server running?
>>
>> dovecot?
>
> Dovecot is configured to serve imap.

If it is explicitly configured for ONLY imap then of course pop3
will not work. So a "telnet localhost imap" is called for. Of course,
actually logging in is a pain and probably will require reading and
figuring out the imap RFCs. It requires an N digit serial number with
leading zeros in front of each command.

>> Is it configured to accept pop3 connections?
>
> You mean locally? It's configured to accept imap connections on the
> lan, but I was still at the stage of testing fetchmail on the
> command line, so I shouldn't have introduced any further
> complications.
>
>> is it running?
>
> Yes, it's running, and I can connect.  From this box I can see the
> messages I moved into one of its folders.  (The aim is to copy
> across all mail onto that laptop, so that it can function as server
> while I rebuild the real server).

Then what IS the problem?
{o.o}

The problem is that I can't pull messages in from my isp. I believe that dovecot is doing it work, so it's some other part of the chain that I have wrongly configured.

It looked like you were trying to copy them from one machine you owned
to another machine you owned.

Regardless, do remember that pop3 and imap are two vastly different
animals. That could be the root of your problem. I hope my prior
suggestion of two accounts and copying folders works for you.
{^_^}