Re: How To Force Yum To Update

Thomas Springer wrote:

Am Sonntag, den 22.01.2006, 16:31 -0800 schrieb jdow:
Each time I ran 'yum update' I would get responses very similar to this:

[...]
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 969 kB 00:34
extras    : ################################################## 2815/2815
Added 15 new packages, deleted 12 old in 3.45 seconds
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
Observe that above. If there are only 15 new packages and 12 deleted
packages something is doing updates behind your back. Please check it
out rather than "presume" she needs an update.

The output shown above is an example taken from my personal machine, and not the machine I wish to update. I snipped a lot of the yum output away because it wasn't zeroing in on what I want to discuss. I only showed enough to give a context. I showed this example to illustrate what I'm talking about, and not at all as output from the machine of interest.

I know she needs an openoffice update. I don't think yum is running nightly, but I didn't check for that either, so I could be wrong.

See the output of:
% /sbin/service yum status
(e.g.) "Nightly yum update is enabled."

You might want to instruct your mother-in-law to do that for *you*.

With this particular person, I really can't do that. The machine is only turned on once every few days at best and it is behind a private network.

By default, the yum service in FC4 is turned off. You have to turn it on with chkconfig or ntsysv. I checked /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron and it checks for the yum service; if it is running, the cron job executes.

The user of the machine of interest most assuredly does not have the skill to alter a cron job.

I know there are updates out there that the machine needs. They were available since January 17 per fedora-announce-list and the last time I was able to physically sit at the machine and work it was January 21.

As a matter of interest, I was only able to get the openoffice update needed for my own personal machine on January 20. Here's the yum log:

Jan 20 19:46:35 Updated: openoffice.org-core.i386 1:2.0.1.1-5.1
[...]

The question remains: how can I force yum to update when known updates (per fedora-announce-list) are available?

Bob