Re: How To Force Yum To Update

jdow wrote:

From: "Robert L Cochran" <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yesterday I attempted to service my mother-in-law's FC4 computer, which I know needs about 100 Mb or so worth of updates -- most of that for OpenOffice. I only have a short window of opportunity to do this since she lives a fair distance. Each time I ran 'yum update' I would get responses very similar to this:

[...]
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 969 kB 00:34
extras    : ################################################## 2815/2815
Added 15 new packages, deleted 12 old in 3.45 seconds
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

I know she needs an openoffice update. I don't think yum is running nightly, but I didn't check for that either, so I could be wrong. How do I force yum to find the updates?

Take Care

How do you know it is needed? Is it possible she's already updated via
a cron job? What does "rpm -q openoffice.org-core" return? It returns
"openoffice.org.core-2.0.1.1-5.1" here. And this is from a VERY recent
update, in the day or so.

Are you looking at "updates-released", "extras", and "base"? If not
you need to configure yum so that it is.

{^_^}

I know she needs the openoffice update because I just did get that update (to 2.0.1.1-5.1) and I feel quite sure my Mom-in-law's machine didn't get that. I did the original FC4 installation a little more than a week ago, and updated it once at that time. Since then there have been a raft of application updates. Openoffice is one of these. She doesn't know enough of Linux to understand what a cron job is, and couldn't have set one up. Yum looks at updates-released, extras, and base by default. I didn't change anything about that.

I often get this same message on my own machine when I know for certain updates are pending -- I subscribe to fedora-announce-list and some of the announced updates apply to me. Retrying 'yum update' several hours later or the next day will find the updates applied.

Bob