can't use ftp on FC4

I'm attempting to use ftp for the first time on my FC4 installation, and it isn't working. I log in okay and can do things like change directories, but if I do anything that should result in data being sent (ls, put, get), it reports that it's entering passive mode and then waits ... and waits, until it times out.

I'm suspecting this is a firewall issue (?), and that I'm not getting the data link established correctly, but I don't know much about all that. I thought that passive mode was supposed to deal with this, so maybe it's something else?

Is there a straight-forward cure for this in FC4? If it matters, what I'm attempting to do is to update some files on a web server for someone.

Here is a transcript of a typical session. I've X'd out the address and user information, and also I just CTRL-C'd out of the attempted "ls" command - it just times out otherwise.

[bruce@localhost ~]$ ftp -d users.XXXX.net
Connected to users.XXXX.net.
220 www2.XXXX.net FTP server (Version wu-2.8.0-prerelease(1) Tue Dec 6 22:11:18 PST 2005) ready.
---> AUTH GSSAPI
500 AUTH command not supported.
---> AUTH KERBEROS_V4
500 AUTH command not supported.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (users.XXXX.net:bruce): XXXX
---> USER XXXX
331 Password required for XXXX.
Password:
---> PASS XXXX
230 User XXXX logged in.
---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
---> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,80,60,21,108,140)

receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
ftp>

thanks in advance for any help,