RE: Trivial question

[...]
> Am Samstag, den 21.01.2006, 22:57 -0500 schrieb Michael D. Berger:
>

> > If I type:
> >
> >    yum localupdate /my_rpm_path/*
> >
> > on a box that has installed only a small subset of that which is
> > available in my_rpm_path, will it only update that which is there,
> > and not install any of the others?
> >
> That's what the manpage suggerates.
>
> > This is not so trivial when it comes to boxes that are not on
> > the net. It would also solve a problem I had yesterday, where
> > I had trouble updating my second box over the net.
> >
> I don't know what you mean.
>

> Thomas

1. Boxes that are not on the net have to be uodated by carrying
   upcates on a CD from a box that is on the net.  The files are
   read on to the box that is not on the net.  These files are
   then local.

2. I have two FC4 boxes on the net.  Yesterday, I applied an
   update successfully to box 1.  A few minutes later I tried
   the same thing on box 2.  It failed, reporting a DNS problem.
   A while later I tried it again, and it failed with some checksum
   errors.  I deleted some files and tried again, and it succeeded.
   I could have just copied the rpm files from box 1 to box 2, and
   avoided the net problems.

Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger